Trauma results when you experience excessive stress that overwhelms your emotional or physical ability to cope. Most people will experience a traumatic event at some point in their lives, such as a car accident, abuse or neglect, the sudden death of a loved one, a violent criminal act, or a natural disaster. Depending on an individual’s ability to deal with trauma, others recover from trauma with time and bounce back with great resiliency but for others the effects of trauma are lasting. Psychological trauma can last for many years, and if unresolved, can even become more devastating than the original traumatic event.
Trauma Counselling can help you with the following:
- Help you to understand your coping mechanisms;
- Validate your feelings and emotions;
- Stop using suppression and avoidance as a form of defence;
- Help you to make sense of what has happened to you;
- Integrate the event meaningfully into your life.
- Begin to live in the present rather than constantly being re-triggered by the past.